- C language was developed by Dennis Ritchie between 1969 and 1973 at AT&T Bell Laboratories.
- Most of the features in C are derived from "B" programming language. That is the reason why the new language was named as "C".
- C is a high level language but it lacks features like garbage collection, object orientation which are usually available in high-level languages.
- C is a structured programming language. Because, C provides many features like functions, if statements, loops, blocks etc.
- Most part of the UNIX operating system was written in C
- C was initially designed to develop system software. Because of its simplicity, flexibility and portability, it is also used to develop application software.
- Used to develop firmware for micro controllers, operating system, device drivers etc.
- Major programming languages like PHP, Perl , Python etc. are written in C
- Used to develop application softwares like media player, mp3 player, games etc.